I ended up cleaning and cooking during the conference football games and didn't knit as I'd expected. That's a little unfortunate because I think the Superbowl is going to be really boring, so if I have time to knit I won't really be interested in the game. And no, I don't like football, I was just excited since a local team was in contention.Funny how group psychology works.
The Mittens (because they've earned proper name status) trudge on.
There are two more knits I have. I made some reading mitts for a good friend of ours. When she opened them, they were folded so as to appear (to her) like socks. She was quite excited. And then confused. I'll need to tuck that piece of info away for future gift giving opportunities. Which, is not to suggest that such a piece of info will formulate into a pair of socks. Because, that is how I roll.
Susie's Reading Mitts. A great little pattern that is apparently the subject of much copyright debate. You've probably noticed that all my gift patterns this year were free. Knitting from stash and free patterns were additional goals of holiday knitting and I was mostly successful, except for some cotton yarn. When I found these, the original designer posted the pattern and said it was free. When I couldn't find my pattern on Christmas and checked Ravelry, the pattern is now listed as unavailable. Now they are again listed as free and there is a link to a different designer that claims it is their pattern. I'll admit that it seems a bit of a petty tug-of-war is going on, though I've only read one side of the story.
These mitts are beautiful and I think they look amazing with the yarn. The free pattern is written in one size. I didn't check gauge (same song as before) and I'm a bit unhappy with the fit at the wrist.
You may recall the hole that appeared while doing the photoshoot for OWLS. I gerryrigged those holes closed with lots of weaving of the ends. I attempted to overcome the problem with the thumb gussets by twisting stitches on the first of the mitts, and didn't like the result.
I'm practicing on The Mittens, and am only marginally more satisified. On Mitten #1, I used a tapestry needle and 'traced' around the knit stitches on the gusset. I have a book on finishing techniques. I probably ought to read it.
I am happy with my technique for folding over and creating the pretty edging. I just split the yarn in half to have thin 'thread' with identical coloring. You can see 1) how I wove the stitches and 2) the difference between sewing with the full yarn (left half) and split yarn (second half).
It was this year's secret knit. I mostly finished this while in Vancouver. But, I left the brim until the last minute so Partner was banished to the bedroom for awhile (under the guise of wrapping his other gifts).
I used the stitch count from Turn-A-Square + 4 stitches. I also did this hat top down. I then added a repeat from Alice Starmore's book once again. And I finished with the Latvian Braid bindoff from Donna Druchunas's Bosnian Slipper Socks.
The yarn was a gift from my good friend Nova - a combination of some possum yarn that she discovered she's allergic to and part of some hand spun she gifted me with years ago and I've been dying to use. It was only 62 yards and I never could quite find a pattern. I thought this would use it all up, but I ended with about half of it left. The colors are beautiful and I need to figure out a way to highlight the last bit.
I made it a bit too long because the last two beanies I made him were too short. So when he pulls it down, he ends up flipping up the brim a little bit (as in the picture above). The colorwork section is just slightly puckered so some of the stitche are pulled into the fabric and not as clear. Something to work on because it detracts from the colorwork, but fortunately it's not bad enough to effect the wearability of the hat.
I also think that since I was using thicker yarn, one less round of the primary color before the bind off would have been better. I saw the original socks at Sock Summit and the bind off isn't as obvious on the socks and I think I prefer that, though Partner said he doesn't mind. Now he has a matched set (sort of):
So there you have it! The last FOs of 2011. I think I missed a couple baby hats and some dishclothes, but the knitting yardage for 2011 was: 3336
There are several FOs near completion so hopefully I can get my 4,000 yards for 2012 and get my reward (more on that later).
Now, to get The Mittens done so I can have the first FO of 2012....
Pattern: Susie's Reading Mitts
Yarn: Mirasol Cotanani, 110 yards
Knitting yardage total 2011: 3176
Pattern: my own: increase style (reverse of decreases) from Turn a Square; peony pattern from Starmore, Latvian braid from Donna Druchunas, US7
Yarn: unknown handspun ~30 yards; Cherry Tree Hill Possum worsted ~130 yards
Knitting yardage total 2011: 3336