We bring 2010's parade of FOs to a close with one of which I'm particularly proud.
First and foremost because I was able to make it a complete surprise for the recipient, namely Partner.
Always a win when you can knit something right under the nose of someone with whom you live. And yes, I am attempting to write this without ending sentences with a preposition.
However, Partner is - quite happily to me - very interested, supportive and engaged in my knitting obsession hobby. So, I actually accomplished this feat by knitting the gift when he was not around or, more accurately, when I was not around. You may have noticed an absence of knitting during my Australia trip photos. Do not be fooled.
Partner was quite curious why I was insistent that he should wait for blog posts to see pictures from Australia. Of course, with 400 or so pictures to wade through, it was easy enough to believe my claim that I wanted him to see the best pictures. But really, it was just to hide the WIP shots until after Christmas.
I cheated a bit and used a heavy fingering weight yarn, but come on - I couldn't imagine doing a pair of men's socks on US0s! Though in the original, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee did use light fingering weight yarn. But SPM I am not so there was some calculating required to get this to work with my yarn and my US3s, casting on 57 stitches instead of 70.
So the yarn was an intended modification. An unintended modification was my rather regretable decision to wait until I was on the plane to Melbourne to actually read the directions.
You see, in Stephanie's pictures, it looked (to me) like little bubbles up the sides of the socks. So, I started the socks, stumbled upon the direction to "purl the second stitch on the left needle, then knit the first one, then slide them off together" and was stumped. Unable to figure out how to accomplish this and unable reference the knowledge of Ravelry, I decided I was "close enough."
I should probably not admit that it was not until the second sock that I realized the "bubbles" were cables. Yes, I have sent back my knitter's badge. So "close enough" would, in knitter's parlance, be called twisting the cables the wrong way. Of course, by then there was no way I was ripping out anything so my cables are all twisted the wrong way round.
Another modification was to do 3.5 repeats of the pattern on the leg before doing the heel flap. I'm not sure this was a good idea as it put some cabling near the split for the heel flap. I also felt that the stitches were too lose along the gusset so I knit through the back loop on the stitches before and after my SSKs and K2togs, respectively. Finally, I wasn't sure if the cables would be uncomfortable on the heavier yarn so I decided to continue the cable pattern down the outside of the foot only. Of course, when I took some FO shots, I discovered that it must not be too uncomfortable since you can see Partner is wearing these with the cable on the inside of the foot. I'm glad since I don't like to think too hard when I put on socks.
Because I got sick while in Australia, I didn't finish quite as quickly as I thought I would, weaving in the ends on the train to the airport. But still, a pair of men's socks in two weeks. I have proof:
Yes, I did get a few odd looks on the train, but I'm used to those. I was so happy to find on Christmas morning that I'd managed to get the length perfectly and there was nothing left to do but weave in the ends on the toes. Partner likes them quite a lot, so a very good way to wrap up the new year:
Pattern: Earl Grey
Final measurements: Men's Size 10.5
Yarn: Chameleon Dyeworks Pippi
Modifications: Only other modification was to not decrease as many stitches on the toe, since I thought it made it too pointy.
Knitting yardage total 2010: 5,020