So, unlike last year, when it took me until March to blog about my goals, this year I'm a little more on top of things. It helps that many of my goals are a continuation or permutation of last year's. I know Kate finds this long list overwhelming, but it works better for me, I think. If you only want to see the knitting goals, just boop, boop, boop, down to the RED text.
Without further ado...
1. I will be PRESENT. This is a separate post, in and of itself, but PRESENT is my word for 2014.
2. My number one focus each and every day is that Wiggle is healthy and happy. He has given my life a focus. Nothing is as important and nothing gives me such immediate feedback on if I'm doing the right thing.
3. My old nemesis of stress (and it's nasty twin, anger). However, I can see how Wiggle picks up on my emotions and I want to try to model good patterns for dealing with trials and tribulations. Or just an annoying person in traffic.
4. I was so good while I was pregnant and when I was on maternity leave. And then I went back to work. The guy that works for me said, "you used to eat so much healthier when you were pregnant." I think I've used sugar as a quick fix when I haven't brought enough food or when my energy level is low. I've cut caffeine from my diet - that was a mistake I only made once when Wiggle was 3 days old - and so sugar has become my insta-energy. But now that I'm away from all my Mom's homemade goodies (literally dozens upon dozens of homemade cookies), I'm going to redouble my efforts to eat healthy.
5. I guess I should have put this next to 3 above. Less angry... wow, do I have a temper. I need to learn to evaluate why I'm angry and then address that issue and not just be angry.
6. And, since it's 18 minutes past 10 - HA! - I'm taking a break and finishing this post tomorrow! :) I need to take care of myself and that really includes getting enough sleep.
alright, I'm back!
7. This is the third year that this has been on my list. But this time, I'm going to make it happen. I'm minimizing. We started this weekend. The second Monday of every month is bulky item pick up here. This was our curb yesterday (and doesn't include the two chairs and footstools some guys grabbed! one guys trash is another man's treasure....)
and I came home from work today and it was all gone. Partner and I agree that it feels SO GOOD.
8. We've got a ways to go on this one. Well, IN the house, we're doing pretty good. But I get SO STRESSED when I need to go into the storage area and try to find something! I hate it. I sometimes think, that if it weren't for some pictures and a few treasured items, I'd be okay if all burned. That's how bad it is.
9. I think last year I knew I wasn't going to succeed in buying no wants. There were so many big things we had to buy. And just being at stores induced temptation. But I think this really is the year we're going to minimize and make our house a CALM home. So, I think that seeing that in action will really help me.
10. Now, this doesn't mean I'm not going to EAT processed sweets. Just that I'm going to make it harder for myself. I also am going to try to make more desserts. My mom made so many great desserts and I realized how much nicer it is to eat homemade sweets. I'd forgotten that. I made an exception for ice cream because that is Partner's favorite and I don't have the time to make ice cream. I'm also going to add an exception for donuts, because I like donuts, don't have time to make them, and they sell them at the only store in town. Usually one day on the weekend, we walk down to the store for a donut and coffee. I like those walks. So yeah, donuts are exempted too. :)
11. I am making so much progress on paper. I love the absence of junk mail. I kind of lost the thread after Wiggle was born, but I'm ready to get back on the get-rid-of-paper bandwagon.
12. We are doing a decent job of straightening the house each night. Really, it's doing dishes putting away toys and sweeping floors. It's not a lot, but it really helps to prevent us from descending into chaos.
13. We are so ready to have a garden again! We have some big drainage issues to sort out, but after that, maybe in the spring or early summer, we'll start a garden.
14. This actually seems more realistic than a yoga class each month. So far, it's mostly been 1-2 sun salutations. Maybe it will become something more. Maybe not. That's okay.
15. and 16. We are already registered for both races. Now we just need to train. Yeah.
17. I'm trying to take a little time for myself each week. Partner is always suggesting massages and pedicures, but frankly I just want to be with Wiggle as much as I can. I feel guilty when I'm not with him on weekends since I'm gone so much for work. So, me time has mostly been baths, which I love. And I read. So this is an easy one. :)
NOW FOR THE KNITTING GOALS!
18. This is the same goal as last year. I was 500 yards short last year, so I have hope for this year. One project a month.... we shall see! I seemed to work in clusters last year but hopefully I can be more consistent this year.
19. No yarn! Until the eatsleepknit after Thanksgiving sale! I bought some yarn while in Oregon, which I'll show later... but now that my goals are written down... NO YARN. I actually knit more last year than I bought. And that is a first in the seven years I've been knitting! My stash is a bit... BIG.
20. You read that right! Two designs this year! I've actually knit the samples for one, I just need to actually write out the pattern. I have three other designs kicking around in my head and I want them out and in the world soon. I'm so excited about them, so I hope they work out. I do have a yarn buying exception for designs, but I have most of the yarn already.
21. Reply to blog comments.... simple. I deleted my entire inbox at the beginning of the year. I think that will keep me from being overwhelmed by email and letting your comments slip by unanswered.
And that, folks, is all. :) Maybe this year I'll do more updates on my goals too.