This has been done for ages but finding time to blog.... yeah.
Mama brain struck several times during this project. Which was fun because it was combined with a lot of modifications.
This comes in 6, 12, and 18 months. But I didn't really have enough yarn for 12 months, and since I just experienced how quickly a baby is in a 6 month size, I modified for a 9 month size. I knit until the stockinette was 9 inches. Then realized I didn't have enough yarn to finish the dress. So I tore it out to cast on a smaller size.
And then read it was 9 inches from cast on. So I didn't really need to tear it out.
But that's okay, because I thought the ribbing made it look like a sack. And while I don't normally mind pooling, the white blotches didn't look so good.
So, I decided to do a picot edging instead.
I also caston more stitches, then decreased to get a bell shape. I did a quick set of increases before the bodice. So the bottom is knit in the 6 month size and the bodice is a 9 month size.
When I got near the end, I made the straps before I finished the bodice so I could make the bodice as large as possible. Unfortunately, I only managed 3 1/2 inches but I think it will still be okay. i think one of the good thing about baby dresses is they can also be like long shirts.
Several people mentioned that they had to go down a needle size to get rid of gapping on the bodice. I didn't find that to be the case. The real problem is that the instructions say to use a 24" cable needle. But the bodice stitch pulls the fabric in. On a 24" cable needle the fabric gets stretched out. So I switched to a 16" cable needle and it was fine!
Final modification was on the straps - the pattern had you knit the end stitches, but I slipped them and I think it was so much smoother looking. And, in a moment of clarity, I got the repeats the same so the stripes on the straps are in the same places - yay me! Partner picked the buttons and I think they're great.
My final mama brain moment came when I mailed this and a package to my parents. My Dad emailed me to let me know they had the package... and my cousin's Mom had my parents package. Yeah, I switched address labels! Fortunately, the mistake was with two Moms and they understood completely.
This is one project in mysistersknitter's KAL. I meant to tell you all about it before it was over but there you are. If you have a project that qualifies... well get those needles going this weekend!
Pattern: Smocked Dress
Yarn: Oink Pigments!, Watermelon Rind colorway 230 yards
Modifications: So, so many!
Yardage total 2013: 2904